Friday, November 7, 2014

The Program

Ok so now you have a back story.  I also have established some changes in my diet before starting so my body and my schedule can get used to what I plan to do.  I did this to see how much time it would take to prep meals and to give me meal ideas as the weeks progress.  I recommend doing this before going on your Take Shape program.  It also gives you some time to get your food from Take Shape as well.

Here is the Nursing for Mom's program from Take Shape for Life and how it compares to the regular program:

In the regular program grains, fruit and dairy are taken away and replaced with Take Shape meals as well as a healthy meal for you.  It's called the 5+1 plan.  5 meals of theirs plus 1 of your own.  You choose from proteins and vegetables and you get 5, 6 or 7 oz depending upon what you chose.

In the Nursing program it is different, I still need to eat grains, dairy and fruit to produce milk for my baby.  I also need more calories than the average person does.
The Nursing program incorporates healthy grains, dairy and fruit into your diet to help with milk production and you can choose a 1500 or 1800 calorie meal plan.

The meal plan contains a balance of fruits, vegetables, dairy, whole grains and meat/meatless proteins.  You need to eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables, 3 servings of dairy, 2 servings of whole grains if you choose the 1500 calorie plan or 4 servings if you choose the 1800 calorie plan and 2 servings of meat/meatless proteins.  In addition to your own food you are to eat 3 Take Shape meals per day.  Seems like a lot, I know.


Here is a food guide of a typical day:
Breakfast: 1 cup of bran flakes, 1/2 cup of berries and 1 cup low-fat or fat free milk.
Mid-Morning Snack: Medifast Peanut Butter Crunch bar and 1 Peach
Lunch: Medifast Chicken Noodle Soup, 1 cup of salad greens topped with 1/2 cup of sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, 1 tablespoon of reduced fat dressing and 4 to 8 oz of low fat or fat free yogurt.
Mid-Afternoon Snack: 1 cup of low fat or fat-free cottage cheese, 1 medium apple and 3 cups of plain popcorn.
Dinner: 4 oz of grilled salmon, 1/2 cup of steamed broccoli, 1/2 cup medium sweet potato baked and topped with 1 tsp of trans fat-free margarine, 1 cup of low fat or fat-free milk.
Evening Snack: 1/2 cup of Strawberries dipped in 1 oz of Dark Chocolate

So how much will you lose per week on this plan?:

The program is not as quick moving in terms of losing the weight. You lose about 2 pounds a week rather than 2 to 5 pounds a week on the regular plan but the goal is to get healthy, lose weight safely and still provide the proper nutrients for your baby and produce...well milk.

You can also make substitutions to the plan, for example I don't like milk so I am incorporating Almond milk instead.  I also am not a big fan of regular yogurt so I am incorporating low fat Greek yogurt.  I also like to get flax seed and whole grain wraps for sandwiches.  Flax seed is great for this kind of plan.  You can even go gluten free with gluten free breads, still incorporating whole grains while also being tolerant of your gluten free diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment